There has been a rowing club in Broxbourne since 1847, but after the
Second World War there was a decline in rowing so the club merged with
the Sailing Club which up to then had operated from a site near our
proposed new site, and they set up canoeing sailing and in 1964
cruising sections being known as the Broxbourne Yacht Club.
Eventually the sailing section outgrew the existing premises and moved to a new site.
the existing clubhouse caught fire the sailing section took their
share of the insurance money to build a new clubhouse on the gravel pit
where they had relocated.
The rowing section and the cruising
section combined forces to build a new clubhouse as a joint effort
pooling their shares of the money. The club again became Broxbourne
Rowing Club incorporating Broxbourne Cruising Club.
The two clubs
continued to grow side-by-side enjoying the benefit of freehold
ownership and each increasing their own facilities, the cruising club
reclaiming land through their own efforts to increase the moorings to
In 1995 the rowing section proposed building a new clubhouse
funded by selling some land and a lottery grant application. Both
clubs supported the project, which included creation of extra moorings
on the remaining land to bring the total number of moorings to 33.
land was duly sold but the lottery funds never materialised and there
were then only 10 permanent mooring spaces on the site. The rowers no
longer intended to create any more mooring spaces.
Broxbourne Cruising Club is the smallest on the Lee but is totally
supported by its' membership and always turns out a higher proportion
of boats to cruises and regattas than other larger clubs. We vowed to
find a new site in the same area so that the club could continue.